Choosing a Breast Reconstruction Surgeon
Choosing a breast reconstruction surgeon is a crucial part of the reconstruction process. It is important to select a doctor with the right credentials as well as extensive experience in the latest reconstructive techniques. However, your doctor should also be compassionate, understanding, and committed to your personal goals. Dr. Ravi Tandon and his surgical team in New Orleans, LA, are dedicated to the highest level of patient care. He takes the time to educate his patients about their treatment options as well as the unique advantages of each procedure. You can trust that our team will always be open and honest with you and do everything we can to ensure you are comfortable in our care.
Dr. Tandon recently helped to pass a state law requiring hospitals to provide patients with information on their reconstruction options.
Important Aspects to Consider
In addition to finding a surgeon that has the necessary credentials and experience to perform your procedure, it is also important that you find a surgeon who is caring, compassionate, and available to guide you through every step of your journey.
We encourage you to take several important steps prior to choosing a surgeon:
- Ask questions: Educating yourself about your options can empower you to make an informed decision regarding your care.
- View before and after photos: Dr. Tandon, or any qualified surgeon, will be able to provide before and after photos from past procedures. Make sure you are happy with the results you see.
- Verify credentials: Surgeons must undergo rigorous training and testing. Find out more about your doctor's background, as well as any honors or awards they may have received. You can also discuss any memberships they hold or affiliations they share with organizations.
- Get to know the doctor and staff: During a consultation, spend time learning about the doctor and his or her staff. Feeling comfortable with your surgical team will help with your final decision.
Questions to Ask the Surgeon
Prior to your consultation, we encourage you to research the procedure that interests you, and prepare a list of questions to ask your doctor. These may include:
- How many years of experience do you have performing breast reconstruction?
- How many surgeries have you performed?
- Which reconstruction techniques do you offer?
- Do you perform reconstruction with breast implants?
- Which flap procedures do you offer?
- Will you work with my oncologist?
- What is your success rate for breast reconstruction?
- Do you perform nipple reconstruction?
- Will my breasts be symmetrical?
- How long will the procedure take?
- Do you have a list of patients that I can contact?
- If I need to contact you after hours, will you be available?
- Do you have an insurance specialist on-staff?
- Can my loved one stay with me in the hospital?
Above and beyond the aesthetic results of treatment, Dr. Tandon's goal is to ensure each and every patient feels comfortable and confident in his care. Helping patients prepare for surgery is an important part of this process.
Get to Know Dr. Tandon and His Team
Dr. Tandon is dedicated to improving each and every one of his patients' lives. He recently helped to pass a state law which requires hospitals to provide breast cancer patients with information on their reconstruction options, and has been featured in Louisiana's Health & Fitness Magazine. We understand that undergoing surgery can be overwhelming for patients and their families. Our team is here to guide you with the compassionate care and undivided attention you deserve. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Tandon and our team, please send us a message, or call us at (504) 455-1000.